Season 3 (2021)
Please click on the links below to find out more about each event and register for your free place:
- (Wed 13 Jan 2021 8:00 – 9:00) Registration and beyond: how to feel good about data protection – book your free place
- (26 May 2021) ODPA Conference 2021 * (offsite) (join waiting list)
* Please note: the conference is not open for bookings yet. There will be a fee for attending the conference, just to cover the event’s costs.
Season 2 (2020)
- Tues 28 Jan 2020 (5.30pm-6.30pm) Data Protection Day
- (Rescheduled for: Tues 7 July 2020 12pm-1pm) Data Protection in the Workplace
- (Rescheduled for: Thu 9 July 2020 12pm-1pm) Data Protection in Healthcare
- (Rescheduled for: Tue 8 Sep 2020 12pm – 1pm) The Seven Data Protection Principles
- (Rescheduled for: Thu 10 Sep 2020 12pm – 1pm) Data breaches: Human error vs. technology
- (Additional session due to high demand: Thu 10 Sep 2020 2pm-3pm) Data breaches: Human error vs. technology
- (Rescheduled for: Tue 22 Sep 2020 12pm – 1pm) Doing the right thing with personal data: Data Ethics in practice
- (Rescheduled for: Thu 24 Sep 2020 12pm – 1pm) How to respond to ‘subject access requests’
- (Rescheduled for: Thu 1 Oct 2020 12pm – 1pm) The human at the heart: Individuals’ rights under data protection legislation
About our events
Our events programme launched in June 2019 after we held a public consultation inviting feedback on its scope, format, and content in April 2019.
Our events programme should be considered in the context of section 61 of The Data Protection (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law, 2017 which outlines our duty to raise public awareness of citizens’ rights and to promote awareness of controllers/processors’ legal duties.
It is a key aspect of our Communications Strategy, and we intend to use our events to effect positive cultural change by:
• being accessible to local organisations and citizens of all ages
• improving compliance by building awareness of topical issues in data protection
• encouraging innovation and excellence in data protection practices
• exploring official guidance with the regulated community
• gathering feedback from local industry and individuals
Measuring cultural change: Project Bijou
In 2021 we will launch a pilot scheme of an ambitious, and unique, initiative we call Project Bijou. This project will explore working with people to create cultural change in a measurable way. If you are interested in hearing more about the pilot scheme, or being a part of it please contact email@example.com.
Activity outside the scope of our events programme
The ODPA does not have a training remit and as such our events should not be considered to constitute a training programme.
- CPD points
Please note we will not be awarding points for continuous professional development. Attendees are free to contact their own professional bodies to find out whether our events programme could count towards their CPD.
The events above are aimed at adults. We are developing a separate programme aimed at school-age children, which will be delivered in schools.
- Fortnightly drop-in sessions
We started offering fortnightly drop-in sessions to representatives from organisations in March 2019. These are for general enquiries from controllers and processors only.
- Study visits
Since March 2019 organisations have been able to apply for a study visit if they have a specific, in-depth query that they would like to explore with us privately. Representatives from organisations can request a study visit by contacting us and we will then contact them with a small number of screening questions.